According to http://www.rampantscotland.com/let010818.htm:

| The pipe-tune, amazingly, was written by two Germans, Uli Roever and
| Michael Korb. The words and music are intended to emphasise the feeling
| of a National Anthem. The story goes that, under the reign of King James
| I of Scotland, all clan chiefs were asked to meet in a secret place, the
| Highland Cathedral, to pledge an ending to their constant feuding, and
| live in peace. This they did and peace reigned but, alas, only for as
| long as the king lived.

I seem to have heard somewhere that Messrs. Roever and Korb hail from
Berlin, but don't know how reliable this is.

I've sent a message to the pipe major of the local pipe band, who have
recorded HC on their latest CD (which pipe band hasn't, anyway?). Maybe
they, being rather big shots in the German bagpipe scene, know
something we don't.

Anselm
--
Anselm Lingnau .......................................... [EMAIL PROTECTED]
I was reading the dictionary. I thought it was a poem about everything.