In article <a05010400b8c55540346b@[66.32.152.250]>,
   Tappan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Anyone have any idea what "fleein' the doo' " means? it's from one of
> the versions of Mucking of Geordie's Byre. The context is:

> The whisky ga'ed roun' Tammy Fleeing' the doo'
> And aye as they drank, the mair they go fou'
> The only anes sober, the calf an' the coo'
> At the mucking of Geordie's byre.

Hi Jan. Sorry it's taken so long to answer - I'm still catching up. To
"flee the doo" or "flee the blue" means to send someone out
surreptitiously for more whisky, so the meaning becomes clear in the
context of the song.

Which version of "Mucking of Geordie's Byre" is it from? I've been
listening to Jimmy Macbeath's magnificent version which doesn't have
that verse (neither do G S Morris's new lyrics in which no mention of
alcohol is made), but it's such an old song there are bound to be
countless variations.

--
Nigel Gatherer, Crieff, Scotland
[EMAIL PROTECTED]