Rita Hamilton wrote:

> I'm wondering just what you would use as your music source books.
> Would you mind sharing? I'd like to see a minimum of ten books, listed in
> priority order, that is the first one being the most important. The focus
> should
> be primarily Scottish, but not necessarily Scottish.
>
> Thanks!!!!

Gee, I don't think I even HAVE 10 source books, but here's what I'm
currently using, more or less in order of use (I'm a fiddler & am working
mainly on dance music these days).  Sorry, not all these are primary
sources, and a couple aren't available through normal channels:

1.  Suzie Petrov's Book of Musick
2.  Skye Collection
3.  San Francisco Scottish Fiddlers Tune of the Month Archive
4.  Jerry Holland's 2nd collection
5.  Barbara McOwen's Leaves of Cabbage
6.  Carlin's Gow Collection

Suzie Petrov's and Barbara McOwen's collections are resources for musicians
playing for Scottish country dancing and have arrangements of tunes grouped
for dances. Suzie's is self-published, available directly from her (I have
contact info if anyone wants it).  I don't think Barbara McOwen ever
formally published her collection but there are photocopies of photocopies
of manuscripts floating around here that the musicians in the RSCDS-SF
branch all use and love.

The SFSF has published a monthly newsletter since 1986, and they typically
include 2 or 3 (mostly Scottish) tunes from various sources (transcribed
from the playing of other musicians, particularly teachers at Alasdair
Fraser's Valley of the Moon camp, or from various tunebooks & manuscripts);
they pubish an archive for their members.

BTW, someone mentioned a William Marshall collection; I can't find that
message again and think I accidentally deleted it.  I'd appreciate more
details on that one if anyone has it (or any other good Marshall collections
if there's more than one) as he's rapidly becoming one of my favorites.
-Steve
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee -- that says: Fool me once, shame on [pause] shame on you. [pause]
Fool me... you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush