Jack Campin wrote:

> Also, I'd suggest listening to the webcast of BBC Radio Scotland's "Take
> the Floor" programme.  This is a weekly programme of Scottish dance music;
> it takes very few risks but will tell you in no uncertain terms what the
> right timing for a lot of Scottish dances is.  It will also tell you how
> sets of tunes are put together; you often find the same kind of sets in
> pub sessions, albeit some Take the Floor bands delight in playing their
> own material to the exclusion of anything any other player might recognize.
> After a while you'll hear which dances and which tunes keep recurring -
> they're the standard repertoire, you can filter out the rest.

Hey, cool; I checked the BBC website and found they're offering this program
and a bunch of others on-demand; last time I checked they were only
webcasting it live!  The URL is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/radioscotland/programmes/other/takethefloor.sh
tml and click on "Listen Again."  -Steve
--
Steve Wyrick - Concord, California

"When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl"