Toby Rider wrote:
> Ted Hastings wrote:
> > I'm afraid I can't agree. Strathspeys are *much* commoner in
> Scotland, but
> > they're far from unknown in Ireland, particularly in Donegal
> and the other
> > Northern counties. If you check "The Northern Fiddler" or the series of
> > tutor books published by Cairdeas na bhFidleiri, you'll find them in
> > abundance.
> >
> > However, Strathspeys aren't confined to Donegal: even Michael Coleman
> > recorded
> > "Stirling Castle".
> >

>       Ah, but I always think of where the music originally came
> from. Sure
> there are plenty of Irish-style players that play strathspeys, now and
> in the past. Liz Carol always composes and records a couple on each
> album.  It's just like all those jigs that Scottish players play that
> come from O'Neil's, or other sources of Irish music. Just because
> someone else plays them, doesn't change the origin of the tunes, or even
> the style of the tunes. So even if an Irish person, or an American plays
> or composes a Strathspey, it's still fundamentally a Scottish-style tune.

You're getting on to some very dangerous ground here. Reels originated in
Scotland as well and many of the reels played in Ireland are of Scottish
origin.
Nigel recently listed some of those to be found in O'Neills. By your logic,
these aren't realy Irish.  Since the reel is currently the dominant form of
music played in Ireland, where does that leave Irish music?

Regards,

Ted