Kate wrote:
In Irish music, I have either played notes with an up or down bow, or
slurred several notes on a single bow stroke, but I've never heard of a
'straight slur' where you briefly stop then continue in the same bow
direction.  It's supposed to sound very staccato.  But it doesn't
mention in
the book if it is acceptable to lift the bow off the strings!  I don't
know if it's ever acceptable to lift the bow off the strings, so I
wanted to write
and see if any of you knew whether or not it's okay.  It's much easier
to bow the 'straight slur' this way, instead of remaining on the strings
for
the pause.  Pardon my ignorance, but I'm completely self taught, there
are no fiddle teachers in my area.  <  I must be getting better
though--my
dog doesn't leave the room when I practice anymore!!

My comment.

You might be interested in the straight slur/up-driven bow comments in
the introduction to the following collections:
Richard Carlin's "The Gow Collection of Scottish Dance Music"
J. Murdoch Henderson's "Flowers of Scottish Melody" and
James Hunter's "The Fiddle Music of  Scotland".

Carlin's description of Niel Gow's "up-driven bow"  is of particular
interest. He uses a typical strathspey four note cluster consisting of a
sixteenth note followed by a dottted eight, another dotted eight and
then a sixteenth to illustrate his point. In his description of Gow's
up-driven bow  style the first note is taken with a down bow and the
next three played staccato with one up bow. Both Henderson and Hunter
state that to achieve this "the bow must be lifted smartly of the
strings with a peculiar jerk of the wrist".
In the music with which I am familiar, Cape Breton fiddle, this type of
bowing was quite common in reels. In fact it was frequently used where
the written music had notes of equal value. In that style the first note
was played with a down bow, the bow then lifted of the string and the
next three notes played with an up bow bounced for all three notes to
achieve the "staccato" effect. The result, I believe, if used sparingly,
is more rhythmic drive to the music.
I have used the word "was" deliberately. This style is now almost
extinct in Cape Breton.

Alexander Mac Donald