At 05:57 PM 1/9/03 +0000, you wrote:
Isn't that why lists like this exist?
Aye, well...sorry. I'm mentally transferring problems I had with another list onto this one. Thankfully, we're pretty focused on helping each other here!

Thanks for the great answer on reels, John. Not at all what I expected.

While we're talking about reels, and since there are a good smattering of fiddlers here, I will hazard another question: how fast are they usually played for dancers? One organization here in the States advertises the "actual" tempo of reels at 130-140 per half note/minim. Ignoring the fact that these settings are not on the standard metronome, is that lightening fast or what? Can our fiddlers really play reels that fast? Can people dance that fast??

How much variation in tempo would you think is acceptable for a reel played for listening? How slow can one take it before people start throwing things at you? Before Fiddlers start throwing things?

--Cynthia Cathcart
http://www.cynthiacathcart.net/