At 11:45 AM 7/14/2003, it was written:

That type of thing happens in remote parts of North Carolina all the time.. A certain locality has a name, but no one knows why it's called that, except for the very oldest of the old timers..

Indeed. I come from such an area in NC... Transylvania County. That name actually makes sense given the lay of the land. But, there is a community there called Hog Back, originally settled primarily by Scots. It is (was) a very sparsely populated area, and due to the physical extent of the community, they had two voting precincts to prevent excessive travel. To me, it was hilarious to listen to on-the-fly voting results reported on the radio from 'Hog Back 1' and 'Hog Back 2'. I think it is still that way.

Have a good week,
Don