Title: Re: [scots-l] Jig classifications
Andrew Kuntz wrote,

This probably has been asked before on this list, but what are Scottish 9/8 tunes referred to as? Slip Jigs? Jigs? 9/8 Jigs?

I've heard all three in reference to Scottish 9/8 tunes.

 Are the Irish classifications of slip, single and double jig being used for Scottish tunes in modern times, and if so when did the practice begin?

I've only heard single and double jigs in reference to Irish tunes, not Scottish.

Similarly, are 3/2 hornpipes referred to as "Old Hornpipes" or is there another term that is in common use?

3/2 hornpipes themselves aren't all that common where I live; I guess we'd just call them hornpipes. I'm guessing the time signature may scare fiddlers away from them.

I'd love to hear others' takes on these questions. I have a feeling that my information may be limited because of my location in S. Calif. Thanks for bringing up the topic - I don't remember it being addressed before.

Jan Tappan