Jack Campin wrote:

> > Similarly, are 3/2 hornpipes referred to as "Old Hornpipes" or is
> > there another term that is in common use?

> Jack Campin: 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU; 0131 6604760

It almost seems like we should qualify our definitions as jig
(dance) versus jig (tune) since the same word is used both in
commentary on dances and on tunes, with, often no correspondance.
Most 18th century jigs were for country dances, not for jigs (as
dance).

Hornpipe as a country dance c 1565:

Here's an extract (from the Scarce Songs 1 file on my website) of
an English imitation of a Scots song of a wooing and wedding of
about 1565. Here we have some description of the hornpipe dance
that the piper played. It's obvious that a hornpipe (dance) at
that time was nothing like the hornpipe of the 18th and later
centuries.

      Dance [earliest description of hornpipe?]

"Now play us a horn pype," Jacky can say;
 Then todle lowdle the pyper dyd playe.

Harry Sprig, Harry Spryg, Mawde my doughtare,
Thomas my sone, and Jone cum after.

Wylkyn and Malkyn and Marryon be nam,
Lettes all kepe the strock in the peane of shame.

Torn about, Robyn; let Besse stand asyde;
"Now smyt up, mynstrell," the women cryde.

The pyper playd with his fynggars and thommes;
Play thick and short, mynstrell; my mothar commis.

"I wyl dance,' said one "and I for the wars;
Dance we, dance we, dance we!"
"Heighe!" quoth Hogkyne, "gyrd byth ars,
Letts dance all for compayne."

"Halfe torne, Jone, haffe nowe, Jock!
Well dansyde, be sent Dennye!   [St. Dennis
And he that breakys the firste strocke,
  Sall gyve the pypar a pennye.

In with fut, Robsone! owt with fut, Byllynge!
  Here wyll be good daunsyng belyve;
Daunsyng hath cost me forty good shyllynge,
  Ye forti shillynge and fyve.

Torn rownde, Robyne! kepe trace, Wylkyne!
  Mak churchye pege behynde,"
"Set fut to fut a pas," quod Pylkyne;
  "Abowt with howghe let us wynde."

"No, Tybe, war, Tom well," sayd Cate;
  "Kepe in Sandar, hold owte, Syme.
Nowe, Gaff, hear gome abowt me mat;
  Nyccoll, well dansyde and tryme."

"A gambole," quod Jocky, "stand asyde;
  Let ylke man play his parte.
Mak rom, my mastars; stande mor wyde;
  I pray youe with all my harte."

Hear ys for me wightly whipte,
  And it wear even for the nons;
Now for the lyghtly skypte,
  Well staggeryde on the stonnys.

"Be sweat sent Tandrowe, I am weary." quoth Jennye,
  "Good pypar, holde thy peace;

How does a hop jig differ from a slip jig?

Bruce Olson
--
Roots of Folk: Old British Isles popular and folk songs, tunes,
and broadside ballads at my no-spam website