Hi all,

My dad bought me the CD _Celtic Dialog_ by Laura Risk for Christmas. When
I saw the title, my first thought was "ug." It's on Dorian, and was
released in 1999.

But I've been to a few workshops that Laura has done (she's a great
teacher, if you ever get the chance). Anyway, I played the cd the other
day, and it wasn't at all what I was expecting. I've got another of her
CDs and the playing is more cosmopolitan, but this is just fiddle and
piano. To my ears, the style is Scottish.

I looked at the liner notes this morning, and she says the cd was inspired
by David Johnsons book _Scottish Fiddle Music in the 18th Century_ (Which
I've read twice now).

She also says that all of the tunes are found in the book, but that thier
approach in playing them was modern (as opposed to trying to recreate
ancient music, I suppose). It's not like jazzy or anything.

One of the tracks is William McGibbon's _Minuet in A_. I wonder if there
are any other recordings of that ilk.

There aren't that many CDs of Scottish fiddle music (compared to Irish, or
Bluegrass, say) so I thought I'd mention it. I don't think it will ever be
my favorite CD, but I like it well enough so far.

Bob Rogers
South Carolina