> You've probably got all the relevant currently available Scottish
> stuff, but maybe have a look at the related Northumbrian piping
> tradition, which stll keeps the variation flame burning, as does
> the Border piping tradition, but with even fewer exponents.

I'd suggest something entirely different: piano music.  A mandolin
can do chords, and there were a good many variation sets from the
late 18th and early 19th centuries that exploited both hands of the
keyboard (or did equivalent things with the harp).  Two that come to
mind are Mackintosh's variations on "Lord Kelly's Strathspey" and Mrs
Robertson of Ladykirk's set on "Follow her over the border".  These
will NOT work "out of the box", but should suggest ways of mixing
chordal and melodic textures in a way that's more mandolinistic than
a straight performance of a fiddle, flute or pipe set.

As far as I know none of these early variation sets was ever reprinted
and most only exist as music sheets.  Whose catalogue entries don't
usually even mention that they *are* variation sets.  Yes there *is*
still work to do after Gore's index...