Derek Hoy wrote:

> As a paid-up member of the Anti-Variation Front, I couldn't disagree more.
> Your Variationalism would have exactly the opposite effect- exhausting our
> tune stock by grinding each melody into the ground and bringing the
> Traditional Music Industry to its knees.

Lovely post, Derek. I detect a tongue in the cheek, but there are some
serious points there, so - the Traditional Music Industry, eh? Yes of
course there is a commercial element to trad music, but when the values
of the market place are supreme, art dies.
I am something of an enthusiast for variations because of my personal
perceptions and experiences. I know they are not popular - they are of
course deeply unpopular. I would not try to convince anyone, but I would
mention that as a younger person I found jazz boring, and as an older
person I realised it was because I didn't understand any of it. When I
understood some of it I found that some jazz is indeed boring, and some
isn't, with all the shades in between. Same with variations. Some of the
best minds in traditional music have occupied themselves with variations
and some of the best players have played them. I mentioned David
Greenberg's Black Jock - if you don't like it, fair enough, but I'm surprised.
To me the reason for variations is simple - if a tune is good, let's
have more of it.

> Collective tune playing would die out,

Collective tune playing is only one aspect of the traditional music
experience - enjoyable, but not the only way to fly. And of course it's
not the best vehicle for variations.

> And the fact that it is so popular among Northumbrians simply proves the
> point.

Please explain

> Leave these boring, repetitious wanderings where they belong- in the dusty
> tomes where even Gore feared to tread.

Yes, but not the exciting, creative, challenging, and heart-melting ones.

Cheers
Matt