>> I used to hear his reel "The Apple Tree" a lot a few years ago,
>> it seems to have gone out of fashion.
> [...]
>>  A2 a2  fe`dc| Aa`ga  fe`dc|[1 Bc`de  fB`Bc|   Bcde fefa:|!
> i play it... and sometimes people recognise it, but more often not.
> at least i'm pretty sure it's the same tune, but i'm not very good
> at humming through raw abc.
> my abc converter barfs at the backquotes in the above line.
> do you know what they're supposed to signify? my copy
> of the abc documentation doesn't mention this character.

It's a relatively recent feature, introduced at my suggestion.  It's
a kind of null character; it provides a way of spacing out ABC notes
to allow for more readable alignment of parallel phrases, but without
breaking beams as an actual space would.  In most fonts ` is very
unobtrusive, and while most character sets have a nonbreaking space
somewhere, they don't agree on its ordinal position, so ` gives a
portable near-equivalent from the ASCII set.  Current ABC software
handles it correctly - it was implemented in both abcm2ps and BarFly
within a week of me suggesting it, which makes it the fastest-ever-
agreed-on feature added to ABC.  If your ABC software can't handle
it, just delete all occurrences of it first with a text editor.

The other sneaky thing I did in that was to use ! for a linebreak -
that wasn't formerly standard, but ABC2WIN used it, and I argued
for a long time that it was a good idea, so it's become more widely
adopted (though BarFly's implementation of it isn't quite right yet).