Riku Voipio wrote:
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:23:13AM +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 15:57 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:
Is there any existing arm debian Etch scratchbox devkit that we can just
download?

Can I be the only person trying to do this?

You aren't but I gave up in my quest to do so, since I ran into many problems trying. I concluded that as it currently is, Scratchbox 1.x is suited only for building a Sarge distribution (without major surgery). Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. I was pointed at Scratchbox 2, but that effort is not yet far enough along to allow building Etch packages either. Currently I am trying to make headway going the pure Emdebian route to build Etch packages.

What you want is a arm debian etch toolchain, not a devkit. The best
way would be to use the emdebian i386->arm crosstoolchains from:

http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianToolchain

The toolchain is only one part of it. I can't see how you get around needing a whole new Debian devkit that contains all the updated tools necessary to build Etch source packages (newer doctools, newer debhelper tools, etc. etc. etc.). Remember the Sarge versions of the these tools are several years old, and package maintainers have moved on to newer versions for Etch. I went down this path and hit problems, even trying to build some Sarge packages, some of the tools in the Debian devkit are not fully working (dh-consoledata, see a post from me last month).

I would think you could use a crosstool toolchain (built for gcc4.1 with a recent glibc), and don't strictly need the Emdebian one, though it would be interesting to know if the Emdebian one would simply work. I found that crosstool toolchains need to be built from within Scratchbox to avoid linker problems with the toolchain itself depending on a newer glibc than the scratchbox Devkit provides (note that the toolchain that gcc uses to build sources is not the same as the toolchain that it itself depends on to run).

Those toolchains are build out of etch sources, so they will be
definetly compatible with etch. To imprort the toolchain to scratchbox,
use the ForeignToolchains instructions:

http://scratchbox.org/wiki/ForeignToolchains

I don't think anyone has imported a emdebian toolchain to scratchbox
before, so you are somewhat on your own. But the scripts should be
relatetively readable if you hit any problems.