It did build the device_tools files when I did a 4.5.2 linaro -- it just
didn't when I did a 4.5.3 one, which is what confused me, and made me send
mail :)  I didn't do anything differently when I did it for 4.5.2 than when
I did the 4.5.3 one, so I can't see why the result would be different.

Did you post your linaro on the downloads page? (All I see are ones named
cs*, which I assume are CodeSourcery ones.)

Thanks,
Diane