Dne 3.7.2010 20:41, Kartik Thakore napsal(a):
> Hi kmx,
>
> I remember you saying we had trouble getting glib on windows working.
> And that this prevent the frozen-bubble server from compiling on windows.
No, you do not understand exactly my point (or I failed to explai it :)

In fact we already have glib Windows binaries (both 32/64 bit) included
in Win binaries installed by Alien::SDL ("thanks" to pango) - I have
just a minute ago fixed one missing header file (no idea why it is
missing), so for working glib install latest Alien::SDL from hithub.

To use glib from Alien::SDL (!!beware: works only on Windows and is only
a side effect!!):

my $inc = '-I' . Alien::SDL->config('prefix') . '/include/glib-2.0';
my $lib = '-L' . Alien::SDL->config('prefix') . '/lib';
system('gcc', 'test.c', $inc, $lib, '-lglib-2.0');

In the end do not forget to grab necessary DLLs from:
Alien::SDL->config('prefix') . '/bin'

My objection against using glib was that it is (incl. all prereqs) quite
a massive bundle of *.dll + *.a + *.h which is not easy to build on
Windows box.  And if you want to make in long term frozen-bubble more
multiplatform that it is today my suggestion is "get rid of glib". It is
not a criticism, I know that FB was originally designed for Linux / UNIX
systems and having glib already installed is quite common.  From obvious
reasons it makes troubles on Windows box (and confider some even more
obscure perl platforms in the future e.g. mobile devices/phones).

> Recently on #sdl we have a volunteer (mathnerd314) who points out that
> we could just use the binaries provided by gtk.
>
> http://www.gtk.org/download-windows.html
I know about these but they are only 32bit (AFAIK) whereas we support
both 32/64bit

> Can you provide insight if this would work with our frozen-bubble
> Build.PL?
>
> http://github.com/kthakore/frozen-bubble/blob/master/inc/My/Builder.pm#L90

Technically they are usable, but IIRC there more gotchas with porting
fb-server to Windows then just "having glib".

> Instead of putting this in Alien::SDL we can just have a dependency
> with it for Frozen-Bubble windows. Another alternative is to have
> mathnerd314 compile this server for us and just package it with FB
> windows.
I have one more option - star a new module Games::FrozenBubble::Server
and find a volunteer who implement it as a pure-perl or
not-pure-but-easily-portable :)

--
kmx