From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On
Behalf Of Roneree, Erich
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 8:24 AM
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: [sdre-l]: [sdre-l] On Napster, Timebomb, and production...

First a nitpick, then a comment.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong,
but I don't think either of these songs are in 3/4.  True they both use
compound beats (beats are divided into three), but it seems there are still
4 beats per measure.  I think this would be written as 12/4.  Again, maybe
someone who knows more theory than me can straighten this out.

Either way though, what I want to say is that Sunny Day has always liked to
write songs with compound beats.  About half of the songs on LP2 had
compound beats, as well as most of the songs on Frog Queen (I think there
were a few 3/4 on that album).  It's one of their most distinctive
characteristics if you ask me.  Will's drumming on the songs with compound
beats is amazing to listen to.  In any event, I wouldn't be suprised or
disappointed if a large portion of the songs on The Rising Tide are done
with compound beats, as long as they mix a few 4/4 and other signatures in
there.

-e-

Steve said...
I'd also have to say that the production on the pink album is pretty good.
The drum sound is nice and crisp. The guitar sound leaves a bit to be
desired, as it also does on diary. Diary may sound tinny, but I think it
adds to the overall charm of the album.

I actually really liked the production on how it feels. What you call
distance is actually a breathy quality that I think really makes the album
stand out. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but its almost as if
the album sounds alive. It's kind of hard to explain.

Oh, and for the record, I like "one", but what's with the 3/4 timing? Is the
whole album going to be in the same signature. "The ocean" was also in 3/4.

Cheers,
Steve Sidoli
http://kiss.to/frodo