Three stars
Sunny Day Real Estate
The Rising Tide
Time Bomb/Arista, 2000
-
Sunny Day Real Estate have always hinted that they want to become emo-core's
answer to earnest, pre-Achtung Baby U2. On their fourth studio album, The
Rising Tide, the Seattle trio finally sounds like it. The grandiose
production, by Lou Giordano (Goo Goo Dolls, Live), matches the quasi-mystical
visions mapped out in the songs. Jeremy Enigk hurls his near yodel of a voice
across a Grand Canyon soundscape with dazzling conviction; his eerie falsetto
evokes the operatic flights of not just Bono but the late Nusrat Fateh Ali
Khan, and he aspires to a similar ecstatic spirituality. "Snibe" and the
title track creak with epic ambition as reverb-drenched voices, bombastic
drums and heroic guitars collide. The more delicate "Rain Song" and "Fool in
the Photograph" twist like incense, tinged by Eastern accents and silky
string arrangements. But above all, it's the otherworldly sound of Enigk's
voice -- like a ghost communicating what life is like on the other side --
that immerses the listener in The Rising Tide. (RS 846)
GREG KOT

 <A
HREF="http://www.rollingstone.com/sections/recordings/text/disc_fulrev.asp?afl
=&LookUpString=5916&AlbumID=61849&comingfrom=recordings">RollingStone.com:
Artists: Sunny Day Real Estate: Discography: The Rising Tide: Review</A>

Well, they did better than my other band, Eve 6, who got two and a half. . .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace, love and cheese!
:)~Clarissa
eve6.itgo.com
THAT'S POETIC
"What kind of chapstick is that?"
"Chocolate raspberry. . ."
"Oh, that's cool.  If we ever make Eve 6 chapstick, I'll try to get that
kind.  It tastes good."
THAT'S PATHETIC

**moo