Thanks for the time you took to answer my question.  That is exactly the
type of response I was hoping for.  You actually gave a better defense for
why you do not care too much for TRT than I could for why I do enjoy it.  I
now have a few new perspectives to apply to it the next time I play it.

While I do enjoy and quite frequently listen to TRT, I was disappointed
upon first hearing the entire album.  The opening of Killed By An  Angel
immediately clued me into how different from HIFTBSO (my favorite) this
album was.  I quickly warmed up to the new style as I listened to tracks
1-6 and actually really enjoyed One, Rain Song, & The Ocean the first time
through.  But the latter portion (excepting The Rising Tide which I love)
seems to bog down heavily into melodramatic lyrics and music.  I can't say
that I do not care for each of those songs on their own (although I cannot
stand the chorus & title to Televison) but placing them all together in the
track listing seems just painful to me.  I do appreciate the album as a
whole now and do not consider it a failure but it took me some time to get
to that point.  There has of course always been plenty of drama and emotion
in all of SDRE's lyrics, which I think we as fans love.  But the
tracks  7-10 seem forced to me.  Not so much a pouring out of the heart but
more of an attempt at writing music/lyrics to meet whomever's
expectations.  They just do not feel natural to me.   I think the
simplicity of the arrangements on a couple of those tracks goes along way
in why they seem that way to me.  Of course, who am I to judge their
motives?  But that is the feeling I initially received.  I finally made up
mind to put aside any judgements I had towards their art until I actually
had something more substantial than my own impressions of someone else's
art.  Now I just enjoy if for what it is before me.   & I have plenty of
respect for anyone who cannot stand the album so long as they can back it
up with something more thoughtful than "TRT sucks"  : )