Mike-
The print statements didn't really help too much (so far).
However, I did get a TINY bit further by playing with the disk geometry.
Now I get:

Booting kernel failed: Invalid argument"

It seems to me that those numbers aren't near any of the values I set
(64/16/32).

I'll keep poking at it and see if I can get any further improvements...