Peter, I believe we shouldn't put it like "ELF versus Floppy" because
these ways are not mutually exclusive: they could be tried in
parallel, especially since Rafael's pursuit towards a working solution
also involves waiting for helpful replies from the mailing lists ;-)
Also, regarding SeaBIOS: I haven't observed any downsides from SeaBIOS
providing the BIOS environment. It may be arcane and not modern
anough, however it does not prevent anything from working: it either
helps something to work (e.g. some wonderful floppy-based OS which
relies on the BIOS calls) or simply being inactive if the OS is not
using this environment.