On Thu, Jul 01, 2021 at 02:20:47PM +0000, Thanos Makatos wrote:
> From: Thanos Makatos <tha...@nutanix.com>
>
> The current implementation keeps probing NVMe namespaces even if an
> active one has been found. This is unnecessary and most importantly
> results in memory allocation failure if the are more than a few dozens
> of nmespaces. Also, not probing the remaining namespaces after having
> found an active one reduces boot time.

[ just back from vacation ]

Well, assuming the first namespace is the one you want actually boot
from.  Which I expect is the common case, but who knows how people
use their machines ...

IIRC there is some work in progress to add bootorder support for
namespaces, where do we stand with that?  Once we have this we should be
able to extend the skip_nonbootable logic to handle not only controllers
but also namespaces.  With that we should be able to initialize the
correct boot namespaces instead of picking the first namespace.

take care,
  Gerd