> > [ just back from vacation ]
> >
> > Well, assuming the first namespace is the one you want actually boot
> > from.  Which I expect is the common case, but who knows how people
> > use their machines ...
> >
> > IIRC there is some work in progress to add bootorder support for
> > namespaces, where do we stand with that?
>
> IIUC I got the go-ahead to implement this in QEMU, so let's see how that
> goes. Then we can look at the SeaBIOS patch I suppose.
>
> > Once we have this we should be
> > able to extend the skip_nonbootable logic to handle not only controllers
> > but also namespaces.  With that we should be able to initialize the
> > correct boot namespaces instead of picking the first namespace.
>
> I would expect that selecting a particular namespace (which will be enabled
> by the QEMU patch) will be optional. Therefore, we might still have to figure
> out from which namespace to boot from, so we'll be in the same situation as
> we are now (an NVMe controller with lots of namespaces). So, I think the
> patch I propose is still useful?

Yes, when bootorder doesn't specify one (or more) specific namespace(s)
picking the first is fine.

The patch seems to do some unneeded / unrelated changes though.  Why do
you move the boot_add() call?  Why the desc changes?  Why return the
namespace?  Just returning a int or bool telling whenever the namespace
is active or not should be enough, no?

take care,
  Gerd