On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 09:49:21AM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
> Hello!  Thank you for the reply!
>
> > Just a random idea, maybe there is something wrong with windows failing to
> > emulate stuff?
> > (the vgafixup.py)
>
> Well.
>
> Windows might fail to emulate something.  The prob with that is that we
> can't fix this,

Well, vgafixup.py exists exactly to workaround emulator bugs (by
avoiding problematic instructions).  The Xserver with vesa driver
goes emulate the vgabios too, and it has bugs, especially when it
comes to 32-bit instructions ...

So there is a fair chance that we actually can do something about it
once we know the root cause.  Analyzing that kind of issues is a PITA
though, especially with closed source software being involved.

> > I would try to boot with non working vgabios something else, like
> > grub2, and there I would do: insmod vbe videotest
>
> This one seems to be working (I had to add `loadfont unicode' before;
> I never used grub before so don't know the details here).

Booting linux kernels with vga=ask can also serve as simple vgabios
test btw.

But with both linux and grub running there is no emulator involved,
so it is unlikely to help much ...

> And the original bug report talks about windows, especially windows 10 -
> just tried windows 7, and I don't see this behavior with it.

Could very well be that microsoft switched to an emulator in newer
versions to sandbox the vgabios.  Possibly it's also different in
32-bit vs. 64-bit windows versions.

take care,
  Gerd