On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 02:05:17PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 11:21:14AM GMT, John Levon wrote:
> > Older 32-bit Linux VMs (including Ubuntu 16.10) have issues with the
> > 64-bit pci io window, failing during boot with errors like:
>
> Turns out it apparently can't deal with PCI bars mapped above 16TB (aka
> 44 phys-bits).  Test patch below.

Thanks for the patch, I can confirm this also works with Ubuntu 14.04 (oldest we
had to hand) as well as a couple of 32-bit Windows VMs. This is a much better
fix!

> Even the LTS version from that year (16.04) is not supported any more.

Even 14.04 is not yet end of life. If you're prepared to pay, they'll still
support you. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

> Well.  Why people would use *that* ubuntu version is not clear to me.
> It's *loooooong* out of support.

You're in the IT dept of a large corporation. You have some critical
application running on some old Dell server with Ubuntu 16.04. A move to
virtualization has been mandated across the org, so you need to decommission
that server. The application was built by some contractor - before your time -
and the source code was long lost, due to a misadventure with a misconfigured
array - again before your time.

You've tried to use a newer version, but the application depends on lots of
libraries that didn't take compatibility seriously (like, say, GNOME), so it
simply can't run on newer versions. You've tried for some time to work around
this by building and installing dependencies but you're not an expert on dynamic
linkers, and could never get that last C++ symbol to resolve.

There's no funding to build a new replacement for the app. You're aware that the
OS is out of full support, so you do your best to lock down any network access
and mitigate the relevant CVEs.

Now you try to upgrade your virtualization cluster, and your VM doesn't boot any
more.

This kind of situation is very common. It's Long tail is long :(

regards
john