On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 01:37:24PM GMT, John Levon wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 21, 2024 at 02:05:17PM +0200, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 11:21:14AM GMT, John Levon wrote:
> > > Older 32-bit Linux VMs (including Ubuntu 16.10) have issues with the
> > > 64-bit pci io window, failing during boot with errors like:
>
> > Well.  Why people would use *that* ubuntu version is not clear to me.
> > It's *loooooong* out of support.
>
> You're in the IT dept of a large corporation. You have some critical
> application running on some old Dell server with Ubuntu 16.04.

I was specifically referring to the "16.10" listed above, i.e. running
critical stuff on non-LTS distros in the first place.

16.04-LTS is a much better choice, and that there are plenty of things
which can happen in real life which can delay or even prevent moving
applications to a newer LTS version is pretty clear.

take care,
  Gerd