How much should my company invest in technology? Will these
technologies scale to meet future business needs? How do I make
technical determinations to meet my business requirements? The Allied
Group's Strategic Technology Analysis can help you on your quest for
the right answers. Together with VERITAS Software, The Allied Group
provides clients with the continuous availability of
business-critical information. Register today at
http://www.go-allied.com/STA and receive a FREE PDF of our Strategic
Technology Analysis. Learn how The Allied Group can help your company
gain a competitive advantage through technology.

LEAD STORY

"NEC, Microsoft to jointly develop storage area network software"
Sun wants to improve its presence in the storage market, so officials
there may be interested in this news. Microsoft and NEC Corp. are
hopping into the corporate bed to jointly develop software to connect
SAN-related products like NEC's disk array and Windows operating
system. The two companies will also work together to craft a tool to
connect SQL Server 2000 with the NEC's iStorage products.

SOURCE: AsiaBizTech
http://www.nikkeibp.asiabiztech.com/wcs/leaf?CID=onair/asabt/moren/130511

Read about Sun's most recent storage moves at
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0515sunstor.html.

Sun is trying to take a bite out of those sultans of storage EMC. But
EMC has some big news today. Read more at
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010517S0004.

And for more on storage in general, check out these Best Storage Web
Links at
http://searchsolaris.stage.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid12_tax287097,00.html.

Want help streamlining the Solaris systems management process? Then
head over to the searchSolaris Tips Exchange where you can read and
rate tips from dozens of Solaris administrators, or submit a tip of
your own. Just click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax281849,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1.] "IBM to build supercomputer around its Power4 chip"
[2.] "HP blames weak results on economy, internal issues"
[3.] "Worm tries to attract the Feds' attention"

[1.] "IBM to build supercomputer around its Power4 chip"
IBM has announced the first hardware built around its next-generation
Power4 chip, signing on to deliver one of the world's largest
computing systems dedicated to finding answers about diseases such as
Alzheimer's and the human form of "mad cow" disease. The Power4 can
run either the AIX 5L version of Unix or Linux.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO60638,00.html

[2.] "HP blames weak results on economy, internal issues"
Sun's rival HP says a combination of the dull economy, a slowdown in
its corporate IT business and internal sales and marketing issues is
responsible for a 60% decline in pro-forma operating profits for Q2.
This is HP's third consecutive weak showing. Total Unix server sales
dipped 13%, with purchases of midrange machines dropping by nearly
one-third compared with last year's quarter.

SOURCE: ComputerWorld
http://www.computerworld.com/cwi/story/0,1199,NAV47_STO60630,00.html

[3.] "Worm tries to attract the Feds' attention"
A UK security software firm (Sophos) says there's a new variant on
the Love Bug worm out there. VBS/LoveLet-CL, as it's called, creates
two copies of itself on the user's hard drive using the file names
command.vbs and WinVXD.vbs. The worm tries to send itself to every
address in an infected Outlook user's address book in e-mails with
the subject line "!!!".

SOURCE: InfoWorld
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/05/17/010517hnsophos.xml

Did you know searchSolaris has three site experts currently taking
questions on system security, Java and general Solaris
administration? To post your questions, or to read answers to
previous queries, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateExperts/0,289622,sid12,00.html.

TAKE OUR LATEST POLL: Are you planning to fire up Sun Fire and
convert your systems to the new line? To answer, go to
http://www.searchSolaris.com/poll.

Have you seen our new "Word of the Week" feature! This week's word is
"IPsec." To read an in-depth definition of this term, or to look at
previous "Words of the Week," click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax285170,00.html.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Samba Unleashed," by Steve Litt
Samba Unleashed shows you how to install, configure, and maintain
Samba on a wide variety of platforms. You will learn practical,
focused solutions and strategies so you can seamlessly get Samba
working on your network. The main section of the book covers the
topics every system administrator needs to know, including
configuring custom file share, configuring custom printer share,
using server side automation, Samba security, optimizing Samba
performance, routed networks, and browsing.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=0672318628&ac_id=68

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Pick the right RAID for you"
This Q&A provides a good primer on the differences between RAID
levels 0 through 5. We found this to be a good summary for those
needing to learn or communicate with others about the nuances of
redundant arrays of inexpensive/independent disks. (January 15, 1999)

SOURCE: Planet IT
http://www.planetit.com/techcenters/docs/Storage/expert/PIT19990113S0013

================
THE MISSING LINK
================
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...

"Funny money equals more time"
Money may not grow on trees, but it appears you can run some off in
your basement with a PC, a quality printer and a scanner - but not
without expecting to pay a stiff price if you're caught. The Secret
Service has noticed a significant upturn in the circulation of
counterfeit money and they've gotten downright proactive in fighting
funny money makers. Anyone caught with equipment for manufacturing
new bills or the paper they're printed on, faces 25% more prison time
than past convictions brought, according to new guidelines issued by
the U.S. Sentencing Commission. The guidelines, which are the first
to take into account a suspect's ability to counterfeit rather than
the stash of bills they're circulating, don't take effect for six
months.

SOURCE: Wired
http://www.wired.com/news/ipo/0,1350,43727,00.html

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

TAKE OUR NEW SURVEY - Don't miss out on your chance to be part of an
extensive survey being conducted by searchSolaris and a handful of
other techtarget.com sites. Here's your chance to weigh in on what
platform or platforms your company uses to run mission-critical
applications. Also, tell us what your ideal network would be and what
you would do if you could make all of the technology decisions for
your company. Just click on this link to take the survey NOW.
http://www.insightexpress.com/ix/showSurvey.asp?id=26642&accessCode=5477574934&noemail=true

Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the link
below and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.