How much should my company invest in technology? Will these
technologies scale to meet future business needs? How do I make
technical determinations to meet my business requirements? The Allied
Group's Strategic Technology Analysis can help you on your quest for
the right answers. Together with VERITAS Software, The Allied Group
provides clients with the continuous availability of
business-critical information. Register today at
http://www.go-allied.com/STA and receive a FREE PDF of our Strategic
Technology Analysis. Learn how The Allied Group can help your company
gain a competitive advantage through technology.

LEAD STORY

"Microsoft to ship 64-bit Windows server in July"
Here comes the competition for Sun. July is the ballpark month for
Microsoft to ship a special, prerelease version of its 64-bit Windows
to run early shipments of Itanium-chip-based server computers. The
software, called 64-Bit Windows Advanced Server Limited Edition, will
support up to eight Itanium CPUs, and address up to 64 Gbytes of
memory. Microsoft says it will provide customers purchasing the
Limited Edition server a free upgrade to the 64-bit version of
Windows 2002 Advanced Server when it ships.

SOURCE: InformationWeek
http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB20010523S0007

Read more about the challenge to Sun at
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6016127.html?tag=mn_hd.

Intel or Unix? It's not the "no brainer" it used to be. Read why at
http://www.idg.net/ic_532818_1794_9-10000.html.

Get advice from your peers in our new discussion forums!! They're
located at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@.ee84451!viewtype=&skip=&expand=.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1.] "NEC to offer sub-$20,000 fault-tolerant Wintel servers via
channel partners"
[2.] "COBOL and Java: A programmer's one-two punch"
[3.] "CERT offline for third day under DDoS attacks"
[4.] "Study: DoS attacks frequent, hit personal PCs"

[1.] "NEC to offer sub-$20,000 fault-tolerant Wintel servers via
channel partners"
NEC said this week it will soon churn out an entry-level,
fault-tolerant Wintel server in the United States. The company will
lean on its channel partners to get the Express5800/ft out the door
and into the marketplace. This server is aimed at midsize companies.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/breakingnews.asp?ArticleID=26833

[2.] "COBOL and Java: A programmer's one-two punch"
COBOL isn't going away, but that doesn't mean programmers shouldn't
think about learning another programming language, such as Java. A
COBOL guru gives tips on adding a second language to your resume.

SOURCE: search390
http://search390.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid10_gci553985,00.html

[3.] "CERT offline for third day under DDoS attacks"
For the third straight day, CERT/CC, a leading network security site,
has been hammered by a denial-of-service attack. Despite its Web site
being periodically offline, CERT/CC can still issue security alerts
by e-mail, and its staff can be contacted via the center's hotline.
Earlier this month, CERT put the warning out about the "sadmind/IIS"
worm, which attacks Solaris servers.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/05/24/010524hncertoff.xml

[4.] "Study: DoS attacks frequent, hit personal PCs"
Some fresh research shows that Denial of Service (DoS) attacks aren't
reserved solely for commercial Web sites. Internet infrastructure,
small countries and home PCs are getting smacked at the rate of
nearly 4,000 per week, according to researchers at the University of
California, San Diego.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.idg.net/ic_542856_1794_9-10000.html

SEARCHSOLARIS.COM FEATURED EVENT

Register today for the USENIX Annual Technical Conference!
June 25-30, 2001
Marriott Copley Place Hotel, Boston
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix01/

Check out our EARLY REGISTRATION and STUDENT offers!

TAKE OUR LATEST POLL: Is the economy affecting your company, and you?
To answer, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/poll/1,289525,sid12,00.html.

Have you seen our new "Word of the Week" feature! This week's word is
"IPsec." To read an in-depth definition of this term, or to look at
previous "Words of the Week," click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax285170,00.html.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Designing and Programming CICS Applications," by John Horswill
Each part of "Designing and Programming CICS Applications" addresses
the design requirements for specific components and gives a
step-by-step approach to developing a simple application. The book
reviews the basic concepts of a business application and the way CICS
meets these requirements. It then covers a wide range of application
development technologies, including VisualAge for Java, WebSphere
Studio, and Visual Basic. Users learn not only how to design and
write their programs but also how to deploy their applications.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=1565926765&ac_id=68

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Solaris System Management"
Need some advice about managing your Solaris systems? SearchSolaris'
site expert John Philcox probably has the answer. Here is a
transcript of an online chat during which Philcox fielded several
tough questions. Maybe the answer you're looking for is here. If not,
check out our "Ask the Expert" section on the homepage. (03/28/2001)

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/onlineEventsTranscript/0,289691,sid12_gci531964,00.html

For many more helpful system management links, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid12_tax1378,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
================
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...

"Tuna 'virus' puts five in hospital"
In Germany a suspected computer virus made people, and not their
systems, sick. Workers at an Internet company received a warning
reading "watch out for the tuna fish," which they thought was a
notice about a computer virus. It turns out, the email came from the
company that catered their lunch. Five workers wound up in the
hospital with food poisoning. Sorry, Charlie.

SOURCE: vnunet
http://webserv.vnunet.com/News/1121926

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the link
below and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/