Visit the Web's most comprehensive online technology encyclopedia!
Whatis.com defines more than 2,700 of the most important tech terms
in plain English. Search for a term or navigate by category. Check
out Fast Reference guides for a quick summary of everything from
connection speeds to online color palettes. And don't miss Every File
Format in the World, the Web's largest list of file extensions and
the programs that use them. It's all free at http://whatis.com.

LEAD STORY

"Oracle and BEA chiefs face off at Java conference"
Oracle CEO Larry Ellison and BEA Systems CEO Bill Coleman sparred at
JavaOne over who is better at the core application server business.
Some of the Java developers who witnessed the impromptu debate said
they were surprised that two industry leaders would fight it out in
public.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://siliconvalley.com/docs/news/tech/060010.htm

Complete searchSolaris coverage of JavaOne is available at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/specialEvents/1,289653,sid12_gci556878,00.html.

Solaris executives at JavaOne talk about the OS in this searchSolaris
story at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/specialEventsNewsItem/0,289652,sid12_gci556878_egc558529,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1.] "Viable Java alternative"
[2.] "IBM bringing 64-bit Java to AIX"
[3.] "Oracle gives sneak peek at 9i database"

[1.] "Viable Java alternative"
Macromedia has developed the ColdFusion Server 5, scheduled for a
mid-June release. It enables developers to create custom tags and
user-defined functions to add features to applications and reuse code
from other jobs. "We tested the beta Enterprise Edition of ColdFusion
Server 5 for Windows (Solaris and Linux versions are scheduled for
release in August), and did not find any flaws with the programming
language, development tools, or the application server," says this
product review.

SOURCE: InfoWorld
http://iwsun4.infoworld.com/articles/tc/xml/01/06/04/010604tcmacro.xml

[2.] "IBM bringing 64-bit Java to AIX"
IBM plans to make 64-bit Java technology available on its AIX 5L Unix
operating system in early July. The company said the move puts AIX
ahead of Sun's Solaris and Hewlett-Packard Co.'s HP-UX operating
systems. IBM, which made the announcement at JavaOne, will be
offering a free download of the kit.

SOURCE: eWeek
http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2769629,00.html

[3.] "Oracle gives sneak peek at 9i database"
Developers can download a free version of Oracle's 9i database
software from Oracle's Web site. It is available for the Solaris and
HP-UX operating systems and will be available for Linux soon.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6210292.html?tag=ch_mh

Want help streamlining the Solaris systems management process? Then
head over to the searchSolaris Tips Exchange where you can read and
rate tips from dozens of Solaris administrators, or submit a tip of
your own. Just click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax281849,00.html.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Designing and Programming CICS Applications," by John Horswill
Each part of "Designing and Programming CICS Applications" addresses
the design requirements for specific components and gives a
step-by-step approach to developing a simple application. The book
reviews the basic concepts of a business application and the way CICS
meets these requirements. It then covers a wide range of application
development technologies, including VisualAge for Java, WebSphere
Studio, and Visual Basic. Users learn not only how to design and
write their programs but also how to deploy their applications.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?isbn=1565926765&ac_id=68

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"How Do Digital Signatures Work?"
In this informational, albeit dated article Java guru Josh Bloch
gives a rundown of the basics of digital signatures.

SOURCE: The Java Developer Connection
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/Interviews/DigitalSigs/

For many more helpful security links, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid12_tax1395,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
================
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...

"Hot on the scent of information"
When it comes to looking for information on the Web, the term
"hunting" may be more accurate than "surfing." According to research
being conducted by the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center, humans seek
info on the Net with the same food-gathering techniques employed by
animals -- by following the scent. But we're not talking "smell"
here. The research scientists use the term "information scent" when
describing cues - like images and hyperlinks -- that people use to
decide which paths to follow in their Internet searches.

SOURCE: Wired
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,44321,00.html

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the link
below and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/

If you would like to sponsor this or any techtarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.