How much should my company invest in technology? Will these
technologies scale to meet future business needs? How do I make
technical determinations to meet my business requirements? The Allied
Group's Strategic Technology Analysis can help you on your quest for
the right answers. Together with VERITAS Software, The Allied Group
provides clients with the continuous availability of
business-critical information. Register today at
http://www.go-allied.com/STA and receive a FREE PDF of our Strategic
Technology Analysis. Learn how The Allied Group can help your company
gain a competitive advantage through technology.

LEAD STORY

"Sun set to end Solaris download program"
Last call! The free access to Solaris ends Saturday as will a related
chat site and code-exchange service. Sun started the Solaris 8
Foundation Source download program last year.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.idg.net/ic_637776_1773_1-3921.html

For more on the Free Solaris program, go to
http://www.sun.com/solaris/binaries/.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Appeals court: Don't break up Microsoft"
[2] "Analyst: Sun shines with SAPMarkets deal"
[3] "A Windows for supercomputing?"
[4] "Microsoft uses open source, despite critical stance"
[5] "HP-UX comes to Itanium"

[1] "Appeals court: Don't break up Microsoft"
Let's try this again! A federal appeals court has vacated last year's
ruling that Microsoft be broken up, sent the case back to a lower
court and recommended a new judge hear the case. This is a blow to
Sun and other MS competitors who have pushed the case.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6403181.html?tag=lh

[2] "Analyst: Sun shines with SAPMarkets deal"
A new deal with SAP opens the door for Sun to offer pre-configured
SAPMarkets' online exchange MarketSet software on Solaris. An analyst
calls the agreement a win-win situation and says it's in SAP's "best
interest to move beyond the NT platform."

SOURCE: searchSAP
http://searchsap.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid21_gci752033,00.html

[3] "A Windows for supercomputing?"
Windows XP is still waiting in the wings, but the 64-bit Windows for
Itanium has already launched on a few select high-end computers.
Windows for Itanium is Microsoft's first foray into 64-bitdom, where
Sun and Silicon Graphics rule. The product will run most existing
32-bit Windows apps, so engineers and developers who were using a Sun
UltraSPARC or HP-UX box for their core tasks and a Windows PC for
Microsoft Office could now do everything on one machine.

SOURCE: PC World
http://www.idg.net/ic_637418_1794_9-10000.html

[4] "Microsoft uses open source, despite critical stance"
Wait a minute! The company that makes no bones about its disdain for
the open source movement in general and the GNU General Public
License specifically, has been publishing source code under that
license for the past two years. Microsoft's own Interix, used to port
Unix applications to Windows, includes a software compiler called the
GCC (GNU Compiler Collection), which is covered by the GPL.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2001/0627msopen.html

[5] "HP-UX comes to Itanium"
The California Institute of Technology is one of the first to run
64-bit Itanium architecture systems on HP-UX 11i, Hewlett-Packard's
Unix operating system, and Caltech has nothing but rave reviews.

SOURCE: searchHP
http://searchhp.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid6_gci751415,00.html

Are you running Solaris on Intel? Then check out our newest Ask the
Expert section featuring Solaris on Intel guru Chris Baker. He's
available to answer any questions you have on the subject at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84c40. To
see all of our Ask the Expert categories, click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateExpertsBios/0,289621,sid12,00.html.

Take our latest poll: What was the biggest benefit you derived from
JavaOne this year? Give us your answer at
http://www.searchSolaris.com/poll

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Solaris System Management," by John Philcox
Solaris System Management provides the system manager with the
information they need to make the critical, higher level,
"architectural" decisions such as large project rollouts and their
impact. Philcox addresses the specific needs of the System Manager
working in a Solaris environment focusing on task-oriented solutions
for the critical decision this demanding job requires. For example,
the book covers how to work through the decision of upgrading to a
new version of the OS involving many complex issues. Other examples
include managing core infrastructure services, balancing security
with distributed name, and meeting the customer's needs and
priorities or Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?sku=073571018X&dept%5Fid=242&ac%5Fid=68&accountnumber=&couponnumber=

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Storage basics"
This EMC site has a great listing of storage terms and their
associated definitions. It covers the gamut of terms, including: disk
striping, LUNs, and SCSI.

SOURCE: EMC
http://www.emc.com/ir/basics/

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"The outernet is coming"
The Internet may be way cool, but the 83 million people who log on
each day is way less than half of the number of people finishing the
300 million daily point-of-sale transactions at places like American
checkout counters and ballpark stands. Advertisers and marketing
people recognize this, and never slow to miss an opportunity, they
are gearing up to take advantage of what they're calling the
"outernet." The O-Net currently exists in the form of interactive
kiosks and public-access terminals, but it figures to eventually be a
collection of electronic billboards positioned everywhere imaginable.
One edge the outernet may have on the "traditional" Net: You don't
have to be computer literate to participate. Score one for the
dumbing down of America!

SOURCE: Business 2.0
http://www.business2.com/marketing/2001/06/outernet_is_coming.htm

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the link
below and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.