Visit the Web's most comprehensive online technology encyclopedia!
Whatis.com defines more than 2,700 of the most important tech terms
in plain English. Search for a term or navigate by category. Check
out Fast Reference guides for a quick summary of everything from
connection speeds to online color palettes. And don't miss Every File
Format in the World, the Web's largest list of file extensions and
the programs that use them. It's all free at http://whatis.com.

LEAD STORY

"Sun: Decision not all roses for Microsoft"
A Sun executive said the decision not to break up Microsoft may look
like a "W" for Redmond, but it's really not. The ruling still
recognizes Microsoft as a monopoly, a contention Sun has made and
pushed all along.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=27762

Sun has backed a breakup all along. Read about its involvement in a
pro-competition, anti-monopoly group called ProComp at
http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/01/15/010115hnaoletc.xml?p=br&s=4.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Rivals say ruling affirms Microsoft as monopolist"
[2] "Microsoft may appeal monopoly maintenance violation to Supreme
Court"
[3] "Microsoft reaction: Full speed ahead"
[4] "Antitrust watchers: Settlement may be more likely now"

[1] "Rivals say ruling affirms Microsoft as monopolist"
So what do Microsoft's foes have to say about the appellate court
ruling? They say MS must bear the stigma of being a monopolist, since
the court upheld the judge's finding that Microsoft violated
antitrust laws. Experts say that stigma could hurt Microsoft if it
tries to use its clout to clobber competitors.

SOURCE: Mercury News
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/news/depth/rivals062901.htm

[2] "Microsoft may appeal monopoly maintenance violation to Supreme
Court"
Microsoft's appeal may not be over. The company may have won the
"breakup battle," but it's not too happy with the court's decision
that it is, in fact, a monopoly. Microsoft's lawyers may take that
issue to the U.S. Supreme Court.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/breakingnews.asp?ArticleID=27779

[3] "Microsoft reaction: Full speed ahead"
Microsoft plans to start bundling away now that the appeals court has
made its decision. Redmond will likely move ahead with plans to
attach everything but the kitchen sink to XP - the kind of business
that got the company into hot water in the first place.

SOURCE: Mercury News
http://www.siliconvalley.com/docs/hottopics/msantitrust/msreax062901.htm

[4] "Antitrust watchers: Settlement may be more likely now"
Is a settlement in sight now? The government and Microsoft both seem
willing to explore it.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.crn.com/Sections/BreakingNews/BreakingNews.asp?ArticleID=27780

Are you running Solaris on Intel? Then check out our newest Ask the
Expert section featuring Solaris on Intel guru Chris Baker. He's
available to answer any questions you have on the subject at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84c40. To
see all of our Ask the Expert categories, click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateExpertsBios/0,289621,sid12,00.html.

Take our latest poll: What was the biggest benefit you derived from
JavaOne this year? Give us your answer at
http://www.searchSolaris.com/poll

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Solaris System Management," by John Philcox
Solaris System Management provides the system manager with the
information they need to make the critical, higher level,
"architectural" decisions such as large project rollouts and their
impact. Philcox addresses the specific needs of the System Manager
working in a Solaris environment focusing on task-oriented solutions
for the critical decision this demanding job requires. For example,
the book covers how to work through the decision of upgrading to a
new version of the OS involving many complex issues. Other examples
include managing core infrastructure services, balancing security
with distributed name, and meeting the customer's needs and
priorities or Service Level Agreements (SLAs).
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?sku=073571018X&dept%5Fid=242&ac%5Fid=68&accountnumber=&couponnumber=

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Intrusion detection FAQ"
This thorough FAQ sheet is divided into nine sections, including
basic terms and theories, scanners, legal issues and ID product
information.

SOURCE: SANS Institute Resources
http://www.sans.org/newlook/resources/IDFAQ/ID_FAQ.htm

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Forget PTA; this school goes PDA"
Whatever happened to a ringed binder and a sharpened No. 2 pencil? An
affluent North Carolina private school has become the first K-12
school in the nation to require its students to purchase a handheld
computer that it says will be used for word processing and will
include a graphing calculator, flash cards, a grade book for
teachers, e-mail and more. The cost of the Palm IIIc and portable
keyboard will be added to the students' yearly $10,700 tuition.
Laptops were the school's first choice, but officials found the
notebooks less flexible and too expensive!

SOURCE:  Wired
http://www.wired.com/news/school/0,1383,44812,00.html

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

Get free offers from reputable merchants for products that you are
interested in. Pick from over 50 categories of interest, modify your
profile at any time to suit your needs, and receive only the email
that interests you when you subscribe today. Just click on the link
below and get your account up and running:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.