SEARCHSOLARIS.COM
Administrator Tip

SPONSORED BY: PostMasterDirect.com
What do you like? Networks? Computer Games? Downloads? How about Free
Stuff? SearchSolaris.com can get you FREE info on the topics that
interest you most - and there are so many to choose from! We'll find
related news, information and special offers and deliver them
directly to your e-mailbox, all at no charge! Sign up today at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/.

"Protecting the NIS Maps Directory," by Gunther Vanaken

The /var/yp directory should only be accessible by root. Change the
permissions accordingly. If you are running TripWire, COPS or any
other security tool, you should make it a part of the security audit
process.

Setup /var/yp/securenets

You should configure NIS to make its maps available only to certain
networks. This can be done with the /var/yp/securenets file, here is
an example:

255.255.255.0 10.10.20.0 255.255.255.0 10.10.21.0

To restrict availability to hosts, simply add the IP address of that
host(s):

255.255.255.0 10.10.20.2 255.255.255.0 10.10.20.1

Secure your Root account

The root account should always be local! You should never allow it to
be a part of NIS. If a hacker discovered the root password, he/she
would have access to all of the machines within the NIS domain. Also,
if NIS ever failed, you may not be able to login as root on any
machine in the domain.

Move NIS Maps

NIS uses the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/inetd/netmasks files by
default for its maps. Two problems with this are; anyone with login
access to the system will be able to read all of the NIS maps;
second, with /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow as NIS map sources, root
login will be possible only if NIS is running properly. You should
move these files out of the /etc directory.

====================================

SUBMIT A TIP AND YOU COULD WIN A GREAT PRIZE!! Every month
searchSolaris holds a contest for the best user-submitted Sun/Solaris
administration tip! This month we're giving away a very cool Handheld
Global Positioning System. To experience our Online Tips Exchange, or
to submit a tip of your own, click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax281849,00.html.

How did you like this tip? Like it or not, we want to hear from you.
To sound off, or to submit a tip of your own, send an email to
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

Visit the Web's most comprehensive online technology encyclopedia!
Whatis.com defines more than 2,700 of the most important tech terms
in plain English. Search for a term or navigate by category. Check
out Fast Reference guides for a quick summary of everything from
connection speeds to online color palettes. And don't miss Every File
Format in the World, the Web's largest list of file extensions and
the programs that use them. It's all free at http://whatis.com.