Do you need a proven solution for backup & recovery of your Solaris
server? Why not trust the #1 provider of data protection solutions in
the world, VERITAS Software. VERITAS NetBackup(tm) DataCenter and
NetBackup BusinesServer(tm) provide world-class solutions for the
heterogeneous workgroup through the data center. With the use of the
NetBackup Global Data Manager(tm), IT departments can see an entire
backup and recovery environment from a single console. To learn more
about VERITAS, please visit http://www.veritas.com.

LEAD STORY

"Sun readies 900MHz copper-based UltraSPARC III"
Pretty soon you can get a 900MHZ UltraSPARC III chip to go with your
900MHz cordless phone. Sun says its copper-based chip should be ready
within three months. It will power Sun Blade 1000 workstations at
first. Until then, you'll have to chomp at the 64-bit.

SOURCE: InfoWorld
http://www.idg.net/ic_660120_1793_1-3921.html

For more on the UltraSPARC III, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid12_gci518622,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Sun 'redeploys' hundreds of workers"
[2] "Code Red: Round two"
[3] "Code Red too sophisticated for Chinese hackers"
[4] "HP guarantees Unix margins"
[5] "For now, rivals see Microsoft as savior"

[1] "Sun 'redeploys' hundreds of workers"
Sun has managed to hang on to most of its heads in the limp economy,
but heads may roll soon. The company told hundreds of employees today
they will get pink slips unless they can find new roles in the
company.

SOURCE: ZDNet
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5094962,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01

[2] "Code Red: Round two"
The Code Red Internet worm is expected to get its second (gale force)
wind Tuesday and wriggle destructively across cyberspace. Security
experts and Microsoft say it's REALLY IMPORTANT to patch against the
peril. All IIS users should download their patches from Microsoft.

SOURCE: CNET
http://www.cnet.com/software/0-5067630-8-6717594-1.html?tag=ld

Download the patch for Windows 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/downloads/critical/q300972/default.asp?FinishURL=%2Fdownloads%2Frelease%2Easp%3FReleaseID%3D30800%26redirect%3Dno.

The patch for Windows NT 4.0 is at
http://www.microsoft.com/ntserver/nts/downloads/critical/q300972/default.asp?FinishURL=%2Fdownloads%2Frelease%2Easp%3FReleaseID%3D30833%26redirect%3Dno.

[3] "Code Red too sophisticated for Chinese hackers"
Apparently the "Made in China" label on the Code Red Internet worm
isn't for real. Chinese officials doubt the worm was created there,
even though Web site graffiti said "Hacked by Chinese." U.S. security
officials also doubt it came from China.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/newsbursts/0,7407,2800139,00.html?chkpt=p1bn

[4] "HP guarantees Unix margins"
Hewlett-Packard has started a program that gives margin guarantees to
mid-market Unix resellers. The program will begin in the UK and will
cover resellers that have a business model based around HP kit, that
have registered the deal with HP and that use a certain amount of
software and services.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.vnunet.com/News/1124340

[5] "For now, rivals see Microsoft as savior"
Windows XP may be considered another playing piece in Microsoft's
monopoly game, but even companies stridently critical of XP are
getting ready for its scheduled October 25th launch, hoping it will
be a catalyst for the economy.

SOURCE: Newsbytes
http://www.newsbytes.com/news/01/168459.html

~~~~ FAX FROM EMAIL OR THE WEB: EVALUATION CD! ~~~~
Evaluate Leading Fax Server Software to Solve Your Messaging
Problems - Sign Up to Receive a Complimentary CD
   -->
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3154980;5058249;o?http://www.faxback.com/w2k730
   * Get fax numbers from your email address book
   * Attach any document to be sent as fax
   * Browser-based fax client lets users access faxes from anywhere
   * Fax-enable any web site, intranet or ASP page
   CLICK BELOW FOR CD, call 800-329-2225, email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  -->
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3154980;5058249;o?http://www.faxback.com/w2k730

GET YOUR PROBLEMS SOLVED in our Ask the Expert and Discussion
Forums!!

SearchSolaris has on-site experts currently fielding your questions
about General Solaris Administration, Solaris on Intel and Solaris
Security. Get their free advice at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateExperts/0,289622,sid12,00.html.

In the searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and
share the experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and
Solaris on Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the
Discussion Forums, helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

This week's SearchSolaris Featured Topic is Sun Hardware. To get a
gander at the hardware resources that searchSolaris has to offer,
click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci757494,00.html.

To view past Featured Topics, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopics/0,290043,sid12,00.html.

SUBMIT A TIP AND YOU COULD WIN A GREAT PRIZE!! Every month
searchSolaris holds a contest for the best user-submitted Sun/Solaris
administration tip! This month we're giving away a very cool Handheld
Global Positioning System. To experience our Online Tips Exchange, or
to submit a tip of your own, click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/tipsIndex/0,289482,sid12_tax281849,00.html.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"The Principles of Computer Hardware," by Alan Clements
Ideal for courses in computer hardware, architecture, or digital
design, The Principles of Computer Hardware, 3/e, provides a
comprehensive introduction to the subject. In Alan Clement's noted
student-friendly style, it covers core topics including Boolean
algebra and logic design; number bases and binary arithmetic; the
CPU; assembly language; memory systems; and input/output methods and
devices. It then continues with a discussion of the related topics of
computer peripherals, the hardware aspects of the operating system,
and data communications. This accessible text covers both the 68000
and ARM architectures in a tutorial/lab-based style suitable for a
variety of courses. All chapters in this third edition have been
rigorously updated. Powerful new Windows-based simulation software
allows students to visualize the design of digital circuits. The
chapter on RISC has been completely rewritten to include the ARM
computer, and the tutorial-based introduction to assembly language
now includes many examples.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?sku=0198564546&dept%5Fid=287&ac%5Fid=68&accountnumber=&couponnumber=

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"searchStorage Featured Topic: SAN planning guide"
When it comes to enterprise storage planning, you'll hear the words
"SAN" and "storage area network" a lot. According to some analysts,
SAN spending will skyrocket through 2005. These SAN resources should
help keep you on-track.

SOURCE: searchStorage
http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid5_gci757571,00.html

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Taming the wild, wild Web"
There have been lots of theories about the cause of the Internet
economy's recent nosedive, though none more creative than the one
that blames "hippie anarchists." Some in the U.S. business world
believe that if profit-minded types had been at the helm when the
Internet was created 30 years ago, the medium would deliver business
data with the high priority it deserves; everyone else would just
have to wait. Who says the ugly American is dead?

SOURCE: The Los Angeles Times
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-072601netarch.story

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

What do you like? Networks? Computer Games? Downloads? How about Free
Stuff? SearchSolaris.com can get you FREE info on the topics that
interest you most - and there are so many to choose from! We'll find
related news, information and special offers and deliver them
directly to your e-mailbox, all at no charge! Sign up today at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.