Storage Decisions 2001 brings together the top storage industry
analysts and expert technologists to give you specific how-to advice
to set storage strategy, make key decisions and manage storage
effectively. This exclusive conference is FREE to those who qualify.
Apply today at
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3179218;5058249;p?http://www.StorageDecisions2001.com

LEAD STORY

"Quick Takes: Solaris 8 gets a makeover"
Sun has come out with a new, more powerful version of Solaris 8. The
company says upgrade and watch that Web server kick even more butt!
Read about that, check out a Solaris server that costs neither arm
nor leg, and chart a course for Solaris mastery in this week's Quick
Takes.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid12_gci759546,00.html

Wanna know more about Solaris 8? Check out our Featured Topic section
at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci751020,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Sun says UltraSparc V two chips in one"
[2] "Experts warn of new Code Red strain"
[3] "Hidden pitfalls in .Net open source?"

[1] "Sun says UltraSparc V two chips in one"
UltraSPARC V will be one two-faced chip. Sun officials say it will be
able to both crunch numbers and perform simpler business transactions
- it's like getting two chips in one.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6775219.html?tag=lthd

[2] "Experts warn of new Code Red strain"
Just when you thought it was safe to go back into cyberspace, a new
and nastier Code Red worm is prowling the Internet. A security group
believes this virus opens a "back door" that beckons intruders. If
you've got the Code Red patch in place, you're fine.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6786199.html?tag=mn_hd

[3] "Hidden pitfalls in .Net open source?"
Remember Ximian's announcement last month that it will create an
open-source version of .Net? Some experienced open source code
developers are afraid this project (called "Mono") may run into a
brick wall..called Microsoft. Redmond owns some of those technologies
and could make developers pay up every time an open source version of
its patent is used.

SOURCE: InteractiveWeek
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2801560,00.html

GET YOUR PROBLEMS SOLVED in our Ask the Expert and Discussion
Forums!!

SearchSolaris has on-site experts currently fielding your questions
about General Solaris Administration, Solaris on Intel and Solaris
Security. Get their free advice at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateExperts/0,289622,sid12,00.html.

In the searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and
share the experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and
Solaris on Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the
Discussion Forums, helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

This week's SearchSolaris Featured Topic is SPARC Processors. To get
a gander at the many SPARC resources that searchSolaris has to offer,
click on
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci757494,00.html.

To view past Featured Topics, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopics/0,290043,sid12,00.html.

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Sun finds glitch in new UltraSparc III chip"
Got a Sun Blade 1000 workstation? Then you've got a problem. Sun has
found a glitch in its new UltraSparc III processor, which affects the
early versions of Sun Blade 1000. The company says patching the
problem could cause a 5% dip in system performance for some
customers. (04/05/2001)

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-5507959.html?tag=mn_hd

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"M-commerce breakthrough: Parking meters"
This may be taking mobile e-commerce (m-commerce) to a new level. In
Australia, two vendors have teamed up to install wireless parking
meters. Soprano Design and Wilson Equipment Services have more than
400 of the wireless meters running in the commercial centers in
Leichardt. Motorists can pay using Short Message Service (SMS)
messages or voice commands over their wireless devices. Coins are
still okay too. And forget about forgetting to refill the meter.
Users can receive "time's-up" alerts, and refill automatically. The
one downside? The cops are using the technology to write citations
quicker as well.

SOURCE: allNetDevices
http://www.allnetdevices.com/wireless/news/2001/08/03/m-commerce_breakthrough.html

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

What do you like? Networks? Computer Games? Downloads? How about Free
Stuff? SearchSolaris.com can get you FREE info on the topics that
interest you most - and there are so many to choose from! We'll find
related news, information and special offers and deliver them
directly to your e-mailbox, all at no charge! Sign up today at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/postmasterDirect/.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.