SEARCHSOLARIS.COM - SOLARIS OPERATING SYSTEM AND IT INDUSTRY NEWS
August 20, 2001
More headlines at:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/news/0,289141,sid12,00.html

DON'T MISS THIS UPCOMING ONLINE AUDIO EVENT!!!
"Soaring Solaris on Intel"
When: Aug 28, 2001 at 02:00 PM EST (19:00 GMT)
Speaker: Chris Baker, Sun Microsystems' Solaris' Product Marketing
Manager
Topic: Baker will discuss the communities and applications around the
Solaris 8 Operating Environment Intel Platform edition and preview
SOI's roadmap going forward, including early access and beta programs
for Solaris 9.
Pre-Register at
http://www.italkservices.com/iTalkSlides/CustomerDocs/tcht01/viewLogin.asp?prov=15660&pres=1.

LEAD STORY

"CERT warns of security hole in HP OpenView"
HP's OpenView and Tivoli's NetView both give attackers too good a
view - the two products have flaws that could let an attacker seize
privileges on and possibly even commandeer servers. If you're running
OpenView Version 6.1 on Solaris 2.x, HP-UX 10.20 and 11.00, or
Windows NT 4/2000, you may want to look into the patch. Same goes if
you're running NetView Versions 5.x and 6.x on Solaris, AIX, Tru64
Unix or Windows NT 4/2000.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.idg.net/ic_669304_1773_1-3921.html

Tivoli's patch is at http://www.tivoli.com/support/.

HP patch information is at
http://us-support.external.hp.com/estaff/bin/doc.pl/sid=921a195c113205240b/screen=estaffAssistance?Page=file0007.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "Compaq rethinks Java support in PCs"
[2] "IBM to Microsoft: Give Java your support"
[3] "Fujitsu to axe 16,400 jobs in IT slump"
[4] "EMC withstands challenges"
[5] "Caldera CEO mulls unified Unix/Linux"

[1] "Compaq rethinks Java support in PCs"
Compaq has done an about face when it comes to Java. The company has
decided to go ahead and bundle a Java Virtual Machine (JVM) with
every Windows XP computer that goes out the door. Compaq says it
changed its mind based on customer feedback.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.idg.net/ic_669400_1773_1-3921.html

[2] "IBM to Microsoft: Give Java your support"
IBM is pushing Microsoft to ease up and support Java. Big Blue is
kind of caught in the middle of the Microsoft/Sun spat because it
(IBM) is a Microsoft OEM that loves Java.

SOURCE: eWeek
http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2805056,00.html

[3] "Fujitsu to axe 16,400 jobs in IT slump"
Fujitsu is breaking out a mammoth axe and cutting more than 16,000
jobs - about 10% of its worldwide workforce. The Sun competitor
blames the soft IT market for the deluge of pink slips.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/dailyarchives.asp?ArticleID=29118

[4] "EMC withstands challenges"
Sun's jumping in bed with Hitachi on a resale deal may be the latest
shot in the storage war on EMC, but many IT managers say they have no
plans to dump EMC.

SOURCE: eWeek
http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2805364,00.html

[5] "Caldera CEO mulls unified Unix/Linux"
Caldera's chief executive discusses the possibility of a Unix
unification with Linux in this Q&A with CNET.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6907937.html?tag=owv

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is Solaris on Intel. See all
of our Solaris on Intel resources at at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci752465,00.html.

To view past Featured Topics, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopics/0,290043,sid12,00.html.

GET YOUR PROBLEMS SOLVED in our Ask the Expert and Discussion
Forums!!

SearchSolaris has on-site experts currently fielding your questions
about General Solaris Administration, Solaris on Intel and Solaris
Security. Get their free advice at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateExperts/0,289622,sid12,00.html.

In the searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and
share the experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and
Solaris on Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the
Discussion Forums, helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Design of High-Performance Microprocessor Circuits"
This book covers the design of next generation microprocessors in
deep submicron CMOS technologies. The chapters in Design of High
Performance Microprocessor Circuits were written by some of the
world's leading technologists, designers, and researchers. All levels
of system abstraction are covered, but the emphasis rests squarely on
circuit design.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?sku=078036001X&dept%5Fid=155&ac%5Fid=68&accountnumber=&couponnumber=

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"Connecting Solaris 8 on Intel to the Net"
Chris Baker of Sun Microsystems serves as searchSolaris' resident
Solaris on Intel expert. Here is some advice he gave to a
searchSolaris member who was having trouble connecting Solaris 8 on
Intel to the Net.

SOURCE: searchSolaris.com expert advice, Solaris on Intel
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateQuestionNResponse/0,289625,sid12_cid404720_tax287980,00.html

If you have a Solaris on Intel-related question for Chris Baker,
simply go to the following URL and ask away:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/ateQuestion/0,289624,sid12_cid399206_tax287980,00.html.

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Toilet paper pokes fun at dot-com bottom"
It's the ultimate dot-com indignity -- one final wipe, er, wave
goodbye to kaput or failing dot-coms. New novelty toilet paper that
looks like tickertape features the stock prices of dead or dying
dot-coms. It's the latest addition to the memorabilia craze
surrounding failed Internet companies. Folks are anxious to scoop up
cupholders, mouse pads, even stock certificates of out-of-business
Web companies. The souvenirs, however, don't necessarily have any
resale value; the toilet paper, according to its entrepreneurial
inventors, is being scooped up by folks who gambled and lost on the
Net or know someone who did and want to poke a little fun their way.

SOURCE: CNET
http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1007-200-6908350.html?tag=tp_pr

Whether it's keeping after end users to follow security policies or
simply deciding what those policies should be, the task of making
sure your Solaris network is properly locked down can seem like a
full time job. But fear not Solaris nation, searchSolaris.com is here
to make that daunting task a little easier. We've got Solaris
security experts lined up to help provide you with the solid
information you'll need to thwart the attacks of enterprising hackers
everywhere. Sign up for the Solaris Security tip, and we'll deliver
that information to you inboxes regularly. Remember, you can't have
too much security. To sign up today, just change your profile at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid12,00.html.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.