Sick and tired of manually documenting your system configurations?
Automate it! Ecora's Documentor for Solaris remotely collects
configuration data from systems and generates an HTML report
detailing how all systems are configured. The plain-English reports
are useful for security assessment, disaster recovery,
troubleshooting, migration, and more. No agents to load, no scripts
to write, and installation takes only minutes. Download a FREE copy
to try on one server for 7 days.
https://www.ecora.com/ecora/products/welcome_solaris.asp

LEAD STORY

"Sun offers Java VM alternative"
With apologies to Mel Brooks, "Sun don't need no stinkin' bundle!"
The company is polishing a Java Virtual Machine of its own that can
run on Windows XP and Internet Explorer 6. You'll have to install it
yourself if you're using XP.

SOURCE: TechWeb
http://www.internetwk.com/story/INW20010820S0004

Check out all the Java news that's fit to read at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci561228,00.html.

OTHER SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
[1] "J2EE and .Net: Two roads diverge in XML"
[2] "Gartner: Don't overspend on application server tech"
[3] "Data sharing: the bridge between Unix boxes and mainframes"
[4] "CDW named Sun's first volume channel provider"
[5] "Downgraded Code Red causes few problems"

[1] "J2EE and .Net: Two roads diverge in XML"
This article spells out the differences between .Net and J2EE for Web
services. It also spells out what the two competing platforms have in
common -- XML.

SOURCE: InternetNews
http://www.internetnews.com/asp-news/article/0,,3411_868321,00.html

[2] "Gartner: Don't overspend on application server tech"
Before you write the check to that application server vendor,
consider some fresh Gartner data. The firm's research shows companies
across the globe are wasting billions of bucks on app server
technology. Why? Apparently because vendors are doing a great job
selling them products they don't need. Gartner added that application
server technology is not the same as J2EE, nor is J2EE the same as
Enterprise JavaBeans (EJB).

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.idg.net/ic_670553_1773_1-3921.html

[3] "Data sharing: the bridge between Unix boxes and mainframes"
Do you want to try all those funky Unix-based analytics and data
warehousing applications, but your data is on a mainframe? AXA Client
Solutions turned to NewFrame's data sharing technology to do just
that. Data sharing has allowed AXA to use mainframe data on open
systems without tying up its network or buying an expensive storage
area network.

SOURCE: search390
http://search390.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid10_gci762013,00.html

[4] "CDW named Sun's first volume channel provider"
Sun has taken a shine to CDW Computer Centers of Vernon Hills, IL.
CDW is Sun's first volume channel provider and will help Sun reach
the small and midsize business (SMB) market. CDW will sell Sun's
entry-level servers and appliances to small-business customers.

SOURCE: CRN
http://www.crn.com/sections/BreakingNews/breakingnews.asp?ArticleID=29139

[5] "Downgraded Code Red causes few problems"
The FBI says Code Red didn't make much of a mark on the Internet over
the weekend. Security experts say you still need to patch Windows
2000 Professional, Server and Advanced Server and Windows NT Server
if you haven't done so already.

SOURCE: IDG News
http://www.idg.net/ic_670114_1773_1-3921.html

DON'T MISS THIS UPCOMING ONLINE AUDIO EVENT!!!
"Soaring Solaris on Intel"
When: Aug 28, 2001 at 02:00 PM EST (19:00 GMT)
Speaker: Chris Baker, Sun Microsystems' Solaris' Product Marketing
Manager
Topic: Baker will discuss the communities and applications around the
Solaris 8 Operating Environment Intel Platform edition and preview
SOI's roadmap going forward, including early access and beta programs
for Solaris 9.
Pre-Register at
http://www.italkservices.com/iTalkSlides/CustomerDocs/tcht01/viewLogin.asp?prov=15660&pres=1.

This week's searchSolaris Featured Topic is Solaris on Intel. See all
of our Solaris on Intel resources at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid12_gci752465,00.html.

To view past Featured Topics, go to
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/featuredTopics/0,290043,sid12,00.html.

GET YOUR PROBLEMS SOLVED in our Discussion Forums!!

In the searchSolaris Discussion Forums admins can brainstorm and
share the experiences they've had with Solaris 8, Sun Hardware and
Solaris on Intel. Plus, our site experts regularly peruse the
Discussion Forums, helping out where they can. Learn more at
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?[EMAIL PROTECTED]^0@/searchsolaris.

LEARNING ZONE FEATURED BOOK OF THE WEEK

"Design of High-Performance Microprocessor Circuits"
This book covers the design of next generation microprocessors in
deep submicron CMOS technologies. The chapters in Design of High
Performance Microprocessor Circuits were written by some of the
world's leading technologists, designers, and researchers. All levels
of system abstraction are covered, but the emphasis rests squarely on
circuit design.
http://www.digitalguru.com/dgstore/product.asp?sku=078036001X&dept%5Fid=155&ac%5Fid=68&accountnumber=&couponnumber=

======================================
SEARCHSOLARIS.COM WEB LINK OF THE DAY
======================================

"searchSolaris Forums: Solaris on Intel"
Got a question about Solaris on Intel? Try brainstorming with your
peers in our very own discussion forum.

SOURCE: searchSolaris
http://searchsolaris.discussions.techtarget.com/WebX?50@@.ee84c40

See all of our hand-picked BEST WEB LINKS at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,,sid12,00.html.

================
THE MISSING LINK
A look at an off-the-wall story from the Web...
================

"Workers use e-mail for flirting"
The office romance has gone digital. Workers surveyed in Britain
confessed to various forms of on-the-job e-mail abuses, and flirting
in the virtual office was No. 1 on the offenders' hit parade. Men
were the biggest offenders with 27% admitting sending their romantic
overtures through an e-mail server as compared to 13% of the women.
Women said their biggest abuse was planning their social life or
gossiping. Forwarding porn and jokes also ranked high on the list.

SOURCE: Reuters
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010816/od/email_dc_1.html

Whether it's keeping after end users to follow security policies or
simply deciding what those policies should be, the task of making
sure your Solaris network is properly locked down can seem like a
full time job. But fear not Solaris nation, searchSolaris.com is here
to make that daunting task a little easier. We've got Solaris
security experts lined up to help provide you with the solid
information you'll need to thwart the attacks of enterprising hackers
everywhere. Sign up for the Solaris Security tip, and we'll deliver
that information to you inboxes regularly. Remember, you can't have
too much security. To sign up today, just change your profile at
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/register/1,,sid12,00.html.

SOUND OFF! WE WELCOME YOUR FEEDBACK - We're looking for your feedback
and suggestions on how we can improve the site. If you have any
comments or suggestions on topics you would like to see covered or
features you would like to see added, send an e-mail to our Asst.
Editor Mark Brunelli at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]. We look
forward to improving your searchSolaris experience!

If you would like to sponsor this or any TechTarget newsletter,
please contact Gabrielle DeRussy at mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter simply reply to
this message with "REMOVE" in the subject line.  Or, visit
http://searchSolaris.techtarget.com/register
and adjust your subscriptions accordingly.

If you choose to unsubscribe using our automated processing, you
must send the "REMOVE" request from the email account to which
this newsletter was delivered.  Please allow 24 hours for your
"REMOVE" request to be processed.