SEARCHSOLARIS.COM | Solaris Operating System and Industry News
 March 12, 2003

FROM OUR SPONSOR:

*** WIN a FREE Sun ULTRA 5 Workstation ***
http://searchSolaris.com/r/0,,11293,00.htm?Bytek

IN THIS ISSUE | Today's Highlights

1. TOP STORIES AND FEATURES
  - Featured Topic: Data Center Futures
  - News: IBM, others say SCO suit unfounded
  - News: Sun: No issues with SCO
  - News: Users offer varied predictions on SCO suit
  - News: Sun looking for Linux partner
  - News: Sun working on StarOffice update
  - News: Sun hopes leaner cert. requirement SPARCs sales

2. TIPS, ANNOUNCEMENTS AND LINKS
  - Storage: Formula One racing team revs up new storage engine
  - White Paper: Powering the Sun ONE platform with Solaris 9
  - The Missing Link: McDonald's: We love to see you surf

The Sun Ultra 5 giveaway is back!! One lucky winner each month will
receive a free Sun Ultra 5 workstation. If that isn't enough, Bytek
will also give away a free Sun Blade 100 at the end of July, 2003. To
find out more about this extraordinary offer, CLICK:
http://searchSolaris.com/r/0,,11293,00.htm?Bytek
***** Bytek Corporation spend less to buy more *****

FEATURED TOPIC | Data Center Futures

See what the data center of the future will look like through the
eyes of analysts, IT managers and experts by reading a few editions
of our new newsletter Data Center Futures below & learn about our DCF
conference June 2003.

>> For this week's featured topic, CLICK:
http://search390.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid10_gci867617,00.html

SOLARIS AND INDUSTRY NEWS
The headlines below and others are available on our news page.
 >> Full Stories: http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/news/

IBM, OTHERS SAY SCO SUIT UNFOUNDED | eWEEK
IBM says that the $1 billion lawsuit filed by the SCO Group on
Thursday is unjustified. SCO claims that IBM made "concentrated
efforts to improperly destroy the economic value of Unix,
particularly Unix on Intel, to benefit IBM's new Linux services
business." SCO wants $1 billion for the trouble.

SUN: NO ISSUES WITH SCO | vnunet
Sun is trying to be a beacon of light amidst the SCO/IBM mess,
reassuring customers that its licenses cover every bit of the Unix
core code within Solaris and that there's no licensing issue with
SCO.

LINUX ANALYSTS, USERS OFFER VARIED PREDICTIONS ON SCO SUIT
There is little clarity on the long-term impact SCO Group's suit
against IBM Corp. will have on Linux. Some industry observers predict
dire days ahead for Linux, while others pass it off as posturing by
the holders of the title to Unix. SCO, meanwhile, forges ahead with
its billion-dollar action claiming IBM improperly donated part of
SCO's Unix code to the Linux kernel. (SearchEnterpriseLinux.com)
http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci885002,00.html

SUN LOOKING FOR LINUX PARTNER | CNET
Sun is looking into jumping in bed with a mainstream Linux player
like SuSE or Red Hat because the third-party support for Sun's own
Linux just isn't there. Sun and SuSE are talking, according to the
German open-source firm.

SUN WORKING ON STAROFFICE UPDATE | CNET
StarOffice is about to be updated. Sun this week will release the
beta of StarOffice 6.1, the newest commercial distribution of the
open-source OpenOffice suite of personal productivity applications.
New features of 6.1 include enhanced support for handicapped users
and new configuration tools that allow IT managers to oversee
multiple StarOffice desktops from a single location. The new release
also allows people to save documents in Adobe Systems' Portable
Document Format (PDF).

SUN HOPES LEANER CERT. REQUIREMENT SPARCS SALES | CRN
Sun plans to ease up on the certification requirements for Sparc
Solaris-based workstations and put more muscle into Sun ONE software.
The company is in the process of figuring out how much to trim from
those requirements and may even accept some Microsoft certifications
as "baseline certifications for authorization," according to one Sun
official.

The headlines above and others are available on our news page.
 >> Full Stories: http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/news/

****** DATA CENTER FUTURES - HILTON CHICAGO HOTEL - JUNE 4-6 ******

Gain FREE admission to the only independent conference available
today that helps you build the most scalable and reliable data center
for tomorrow. Plan now to achieve a core technology foundation with a
full understanding of networking, security, storage, systems
management and more. Discover full benefits on our conference Web
site and apply for FREE admission today:
http://datacenterfutures.techtarget.com/?Offer=DCFad030603
:::::::::  DON'T MISS THESE IMPORTANT MESSAGES AND LINKS  :::::::::
STORAGE | Formula One racing team revs up new storage engine

British American Racing (BAR) is a comparative upstart in the world
of racing. The Formula One Team participated in its first Grand Prix
event just four years ago, and managed to come in a respectable
fifth. Since then, the team has had many successes and was even
selected by Honda as part of its return to Formula One racing. As
part of its competitive advantage, BAR has continually invested in
innovative technology solutions.

>> For the complete tip, CLICK:
http://search390.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid10_gci884016,00.html

FEATURED WHITE PAPER | Powering the Sun ONE platform with Solaris 9

The Sun ONE platform and the Solaris Operating Environment provide
the foundation for building Web services today. This white paper
discusses what it takes to implement Sun ONE Web services, some
possible benefits of the Solaris Operating and describes the
components and improved Java technology support that are now
integrated as part of the operating environment.

http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/whitepaperPage/0,293857,sid12_gci871342,00.html

>> For more white papers, CLICK:
http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/whitepapers/0,293835,sid12,00.html

THE MISSING LINK | McDonald's: We love to see you surf

Except for the Filet-O-Fish, McDonald's is all about turf. This week,
the Golden Arches will add more surf. Ten of the fast food joints in
Manhattan will throw in a side of wireless Internet access if you buy
a combo meal. You deserve some Net access today! Just think, while
the kids open up those Happy Meal toys, you can do a Google search
for "choking hazards." The access is good for an hour -- if you want
more, you can pay $3 for an additional hour or just get another No.
4. Or maybe the No. 3 with no onions. McDonald's plans to have
"McWiFi" in 300 more restaurants by year's end. (The Associated
Press)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=528&e=2&cid=528&u=/ap/20030311/ap_on_hi_te/mcdonalds_intel

****** DATA CENTER FUTURES - HILTON CHICAGO HOTEL - JUNE 4-6 *******

Gain FREE admission to the only independent conference available
today that helps you build the most scalable and reliable data center
for tomorrow. Plan now to achieve a core technology foundation with a
full understanding of networking, security, storage, systems
management and more. Discover full benefits on our conference Web
site and apply for FREE admission today:
http://datacenterfutures.techtarget.com/?Offer=DCFad030603

:::::::::::::::::::  SEARCHSOLARIS.COM CONTACTS  ::::::::::::::::::

 MARK BRUNELLI, Site Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your tech tips, article ideas and favorite Web sites.
 ED PARRY, News Editor (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])
   >> Send in your news, press releases and product announcements.
 MATT PELINO (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED])