On 7/27/06, Gary Schlachter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
       I know this question has been asked several times over the years
but I have not seen a definitive answer/solution if one exists.  If one
does not exist or I need to develop one, then I can stop looking!  I am
attempting to integrate a Tacacs+ PAM with OpenSSH.  I would like to
have the PAM authenticate the User ID as well as the password.  Thus the
users do not exist in /etc/passwd.  I am not using NIS or any other
system for user ids.  The Tacacs server is the only place the user ids
exist. Ultimately when the user authenticates via Tacacs, I will switch
the user to a known user in /etc/passwd and provide the logging in user
with a specific TTY interface via the shell.  When attempting this on
linux with OpenSSH 4.3p2 compiled with with_pam and seemingly the
correct sshd_config options, I received the infamous

This is how I test

Make sure ldd to sshd shows pam library in the list

Modify the sshd_config file with the following two parameters

Syslog Fascility auth
Loglevel Debug

restart OpenSSH

touch a file /var/log/sshd.log.

modify the syslog.conf with auth.debug point to /var/log/sshd.log and
restart syslog.

Now ssh with your tacacs account and see if your tacacs server
receiving any connection logs from you as well as your
/var/log/sshd.log file.

If all fails I would ask the tacacs pam module developer about the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Gary

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu