On 8/2/06, Gary Schlachter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Since I am told OpenSSH works with radius, it should work with TACACS as
well.  I believe I have the /etc/pam.d/sshd setup correctly as below:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     pam_stack.so service=tacacs
auth       required     pam_nologin.so
account    sufficient   pam_stack.so service=tacacs
password   required     pam_stack.so service=tacacs
session    sufficient   pam_stack.so service=tacacs
session    required     pam_limits.so
session    optional     pam_console.so

So my TACACS pam is getting called with the incoming user.  OpenSSH
complains that the incoming user is not found but continues processing.
My pam authenticates the incoming user and sends back the response to
OpenSSH to prompt for the password.  I enter the password.  Now the
incoming request to my pam does not have the password that was entered
but the hardcorded value in OpenSSH of "****INCORRECT" which indicates
that sshpam_authctxt->valid is 0.  Obviously this fails from the TACACS
server

You want to make sure UsePAM is set to `yes' and you are using
keyboard interactive for protocol 2 and challenge response for
protocol 1.

There are couple of log files that you can send me, if it exceeds the
attachment size restriction of this mailing list, to take a look at.

Change the loglevel to debug in sshd_config file. Then restart sshd.
Now try to ssh in from a remote client. Collect all the logs related
to `auth.*'  (assuming your syslog fasciliy on sshd_config is set to
auth) and post it here. You may also post the ssh_config of the remote
client and sshd_config of the sshd server. I can use those test on my
side.

Also make sure you do have a local user account and it is not locked.
You must need a local account even though the authentication is done
thru tacacs server.

I am wondering if I am missing something in the sshd_config
configuration.  Or is the interaction between the pam and sshd incorrect?

Gary

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu