> I'm just a student, so this is probably a dumb question.
> In a lecture, it was mentioned that ipx was the "older way"
> oppose to ... maybe vpn... i don't remember, but I was wondering
> what ipx is and the benifits of using it over newer options? I
> remember people on this list talking about something with ipx and
> am curious about it...
> thanks

IPX = internet packet exchange

your instructor is WRONG it is not the old way it is the Novell way. it is a
datagram protocol used on Novell NetWare networks for connectionless
communication.

IPX is similar to IP, and SPX (a connection protocol) is similar to TCP.
IPX/SPX provides on NetWare network what TCP/IP does on other networks.