I have yet to see any studies that prove that Linux is any more secure
that Windows NT. In fact, most Linux distributions take the dangerous
tactic of running most services out of the box. Excluding IIS (hell,
what can you do?) a default install of NT is arguably more secure than a
default install of popular Linux distributions.

Don't get me wrong, I run *a lot* more Linux servers than NT servers
over here, but I think it's misleading when someone states simply that
Linux "is more secure" or "has better security." What does that mean?

Regards, Dustin

On Fri, 2001-09-14 at 13:05, Joe Lyman wrote:
> Michael,
>
> If you are a small company you should definitely consider using lower
cost/higher security software, e.g. Linux. A 486 Makes a decent DNS
server, IDS or Firewall. Anyway you look at it your overall costs are
going to be much lower with Linux, and you're going to learn some great
stuff in the process. If you're concerned about the difficulty of the
task, just think of all the help you could get here...

--
Dustin Puryear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear