First you must be running your ftpd from within tcp wrappers.  The line
from inetd.conf should be something like

ftp     stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd in.ftpd

Then in your hosts.allow file put

ftpd: hostname

I am pretty sure tcp wrappers does not perform any sort of user based
authentication, it is simply an IP based filter.  Your ftpd will have to
restrict who can login to the system via that protocol.

I would recommend the following in your hosts.deny

All:    ALL

Then you can open the box as needed.