On 11 Nov 2001 at 0:00, Emre Yildirim wrote:
> I have a better idea.  Just set his shell to /dev/null or /bin/passwd in
>   the passwd file.  That way he can still FTP in, but when he tries to
> telnet into the box, he will only get a "connection closed" or a "Enter
> new password:" prompt.

I don't know for sure about RedHat (never used it), but on Debian and
SuSE "/bin/false" exists for this purpose. /dev/null or /bin/passwd
would of course work as long as you put them in /etc/shells, so that
they are recognized as a valid shell.
Many FTP-Servers check for the user having a valid shell before
allowing to log in.

If you obviously don't want your user to execute something on your
server or see files he/she shouln't see, you'd better check your FTP-
Server, too. FTP has commands to execute programs on the server, make
sure they are disabled. Proftpd is a fairly good and configurable
server that can be configured to let certain users access only
certain directories.

> If I was you, I wouldn't run telnet in the first place.

Well, I agree ;-)

Bye,
Andreas