Hi Tyler,

>  Now, are you running a personal firewall on your machine as well?

Yes. I wouldn't connect a machine to a network of any kind without some kind
of firewall, at home or work.

>  If so, did anything get let through?

Nothing has got through my firewall (that I know of) since I first started
using personal firewall software. Matter of fact, I blocked two more tcp
connection attempts as I was typing this letter. FWIW, I also use antivirus
software and realtime virus detection.

As a point of reference, some time ago, I used to use AOL without a personal
firewall (I've used antivirus software almost since I first got connected).
Before I started using the personal firewall, I frequently had untraceable
computer problems, that occasionally required reinstalling everything from
scratch. I haven't had to do that since I installed the firewall software.

As an aside, I use the same software on my PC at work, where I've used it to
help track down errant and infected machines on many occasions. IMO, the
features provided by a good firewall should be an integral part of every
operating system ... they are that important (not just the primitive controls
MS has in NT/W2k).

>  What I'm trying to get at there is that the
>  CERT paper is saying that the traffic to the AOL IP address may be relayed
>  in a way to allow it to bypass personal firewalls.  Have you seen this?

Well, it doesn't exactly put it that way. The paper says (pg. 13), "...For
example, end-users connected to America Online (AOL) over a DSL or cable
modem connection may be assigned an IP address from an AOL network block in
addition to the IP address obtained as a result of the DSL or cable modem
connection. Traffic to the AOL-assigned address may be routed across a VPN to
the end-user system in a way that may bypass some personal firewall
technology, enabling intruders to remotely exploit vulnerabilities or
misconfigurations such as unprotected file shares."

To answer your question, according to these two sentences above, only people
who use a cable modem or a DSL connection to log onto AOL *may be* at risk (I
find it curious that it doesn't say they are *definitely* at risk). Call me
old fashioned, but I use a dial-up connection :) So no, I haven't seen this
happen, because I don't use a cable modem or DSL. After reading this, I will
definitely rethink my plans to sign up for DSL :/

It seems to me that the vulnerability being discussed involves the assignment
of two dynamic IP addresses to the same machine, and a way to circumvent one
of them (assuming the one being circumvented was the one with the firewall on
it). After reading this, I doubt seriously that this type of vulnerability is
peculiar to AOL only. They have certainly had their share of trouble, but I
don't think they're the only ones.

Thanks again for the pointer to the article.

-UMus B. KidN