For a basic rulesets you can get them from www.snort.org

snort -D should put snort into a daemon mode and give you the terminal back
then you can close it or put that line into some startup script or whatever.

Otherwise you could use "snort &" if you wanted to keep the terminal around
but just use it for other stuff.

Hogwash is an interesting yet "young" tool that is aimed at doing different
things.  Just stick to snort is pretty easy to learn the basics and is very
flexible.

dan.