From: tony toni [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 5:09 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Unix Security Standards, books, tools...

Folks,

I recently was assigned the project of developing security standards for our
Unix environment. We have about 400 unix box's (HP-UX, Sun Solaris, AIX,
etc)and the admins do their *own thing* with these boxes.

This is not a project I exactly like...I am buried with 20 other
projects...and I am not Unix guru. For each Unix *flavor*, I need to develop
Unix security standards that will cover areas like configuration settings,
defaults, permissions, admin. account, password file, shells, trusts, root,
patch's, logging, etc.

These are my questions:

(1) Does anyone know where I can quickly get my hands on some high quality,
concise security standards/templates/checklists? for each Unix *flavor*?

(2) What about good books/sites on Unix Security?

(3) What about user friendly software tool(s) that I can  periodically use
to audit the Unix boxes for compliance to the new security standards I
developed?

Thanks

Tony
IT Security Manager
Major Telecommunications Company

  • ... Ryan Anderson
    • ... Gurpreet Singh
      • ... Ryan Anderson
        • ... Paul Muscato
      • ... makaveli
      • ... Marcia Barrett Nice
  • ... Joe Shaw
  • ... Meritt James
  • ... leon
  • ... Craig Van Tassle
  • ... Ziggy
    • ... Dan Trainor
  • ... Kanikkannanl PN-149709 Dept-corp Audit Div Desg-Asst.Manager 1/421037 Ph-43983/45283
  • ... makaveli
  • ... Phil Schultz
  • ... falbu
  • ... centipede