Harro -

A couple books that I have in my library...

The Design of the Unix Operating System, by Maurice J. Bach.  I believe
by running through a book of this detail, one can "piece together" how a
UNIX box is secured, by understanding how it is constructed.  I know
that helped me a lot.

Incident Response, Investigating Computer Crime, by Kevin Mandia and
Chris Prosise.  This book primarily focuses on intrusion detection, but
does help you create the checklists you were asking about.  Some of the
stuff it covers would be handling of events, building audit lists, etc
etc.  It is more focused around Linux, but the info is helpful, none the
less.

Lastly, but definitely not least, Essential System Administration, by
AEleen Frisch.  This book covers many common UNIX practices, including
what's "right" and what's "wrong" - however, it is truly up to the
Administrator to decide that.  This book just gives insight.  It also
defines many UNIX standards and explains how they work.

That's my $0.02, if there's anything else I can help with, let me know.
I'd be glad to.

-dt