On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 09:17:52 -0000
root  <Urbanhacker> wrote:

> Lets assume you're on a 24/7 connection, and you're that paranoid
> that someone would be targeting your machine as soon as you boot.
> If this is the case then get a hardware firewall.

May favourite example on that score was a Win98 install a friend
did, which was cracked by the time the cutesy "Introduction to
Windows" applications finished coming up.  As it happens we were
logging the network anyway (we were doing network performance
testing and the collector was left running) and so determined that
he just happened to be in the right place at the right time during a
CIDR block sweep that walked our entire network -- but it still
makes a fun story.

--
J C Lawrence
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               He lived as a devil, eh?