Thanks to all who responded.

I'll summarize the responses:
The Contivity is a pretty good VPN, and the firewall is OK.  But it doesn't
match a "real" firewall (very few people offered specifics as to
why).  Besides, it's always best to keep separate functions on separate
hosts.  Nortel's support got mixed reviews -- at best.

A source of external authentication, such as Radius, was also suggested.

My thoughts:
- These comments pretty much agree with my early assessment -- in
particular, the fact that combining VPN and firewall eliminates a line of
defense.

- I was curious about the oft-mentioned difference between this firewall
and a "real" firewall.  The only difference actually noted was the
Contivity's lack of Intrusion Detection Signatures.

- I have some concern about the throughput of the box -- but that's on
general principles, not on any data.  I'm suspect that our DMZ will
eventually outstrip the box's capabilities -- but by then we'll probably
have added a separate firewall anyway.

Thanks again for your responses.